We practice a child centered emergent curriculum, providing intentional, meaningful learning experiences, with a strong focus on literacy. Our curriculum addresses the following developmental domains; social/emotional development, physical development, cognitive development, language development and communication skills.
and Strategies for Guiding Their Success to determine age appropriate goals and objectives for our students. This publication provides early learning standards and expectations for developmentally appropriate practice. Foundations is a guide for teachers, administrators, families or any adult working with preschool children in North Carolina.
We incorporate strategies from Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline into our curriculum. Conscious Discipline is a comprehensive classroom management program and a social-emotional curriculum. Our staff members have received Conscious Discipline training from certified instructors.
Our staff members have also been trained in Handwriting Without Tears, which they skillfully integrate into our curriculum. Handwriting Without Tears is a developmentally-based handwriting program.
Our program offers students the ideal foundation for kindergarten and the Letterland phonics program offered by the WCPSS.
In order to prepare the children for kindergarten…
– We engage children in activities for visual learners, auditory learners and kinesthetic learners.
– We enhance oral language development and phonemic awareness.
– We offer poems, rhymes and alliteration while learning about each letter in the alphabet.
– We experiment with a variety of writing activities and opportunities.
– We use songs, dictations, stories, poems and finger plays to enhance both oral and
receptive language development.
– We use show & tell, webbing and brain storming to enrich vocabulary.
– We collaborate while problem solving and critically thinking as a team. This allows the children to
acquire mathematical concepts while enhancing their communication skills.
– We offer a variety of experiences and activities to encourage familiarity with letter sounds. This
includes having a letter of the week in the fours program.
– We incorporate literacy rich experiences in all facets of our program.
Click here to download Our Toddler and Two Year Old Curriculum Guide
Click here to download Our Three Year Old Curriculum Guide
Click here to download Our Four Year Old Curriculum Guide
Click here to download Our Transition Class Curriculum Guide
Let us share with you some of what we are learning as we enjoy our day. Look for examples of:
* ORAL LANGUAGE EXPERIENCES
* PHONOLOGICAL SKILL PRACTICE
* READING ALOUD
* SHARED READING
* INTERACTIVE WRITING
* INDEPENDENT WRITING
Return to Preschool Main Page